Gord Johns, MP for Courtney-Alberni and NDP Fisheries Critic, is championing herring in the House of Commons. Sign the official House of Commons petition to suspend the herring fishery. For every 25 signatures, Gord Johns can challenge the destructive herring fishery in Canadian parliament. Let’s get to 5,000 signatures!
- The Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) announced that the Pacific herring population dropped by approximately 1/3 between 2016 and 2019, and will drop by more than 50% by 2020;
- The unexpected drop in the herring population has led to overfishing of existing stock;
- Pacific herring is the basis of the food web that supports salmon, killer and humpback whales, cod and halibut, seabirds and other independent species on the Pacific Coast; and
- First Nations have constitutionally protected rights to herring which are an important food source and an integral part of First Nations cultures.
We, the undersigned, residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:
- Suspend the 2020 Salish Sea herring fishery until a whole ecosystem plan is developed;
- Fairly compensate fishers for economic losses; and
- Ensure that decisions are made with the full participation of First Nations and local communities.