Southern Vancouver Island or Vancouver Area
Pacific Wild is a non-profit located on the coast of British Columbia, Canada. We are committed to defending wildlife and their habitat by developing and implementing conservation solutions in collaboration with First Nations communities, scientists, other organizations, and a mobilized citizenry. Pacific Wild supports innovative research, public education, community outreach, and awareness to achieve the goal of lasting environmental protection in the Great Bear Rainforest. Our team pursues projects and activities through three main initiatives in order to achieve our conservation goals: Ocean, Land, and Community.
The Social Media Engagement specialist plays a critical role in the communications team. As the public-facing voice of our organization, your responsibility is to enhance Pacific Wild’s organizational identity and campaigns by creating and scheduling highly engaging and effective posts for our social media platforms that drive the story arcs of our campaigns. You will work with our communications team to plan and execute short and long-term communications calendars using visually stunning media that draws positive attention to our conservation efforts on the BC coast. Your responsibility is to ensure regular and effective updates to Pacific Wild and partner social media platforms, and to foster relationships with our supporters and partners through direct and indirect interactions.
Director, Strategic Communications
Anticipated Start Date:
Feb 8, 2019/Immediate
Commensurate with experience
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Working closely with the Director of Strategic Communications to plan an overarching strategy to enhance Pacific Wild’s social media presence, brand identity, and fundraising using clearly defined goals and monthly reviews.
- To ensure timely and relevant updates to the Pacific Wild social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- To engage supporters, including the general public, the media, and industry, in a respectful and inspiring manner
- To identify relevant trending topics and stories and disseminate to the communications team
- To track breaking news and new information in key areas and disseminate both internally and externally
- Compelling and creative visual storyteller with a keen ability to identify and generate stories
- Demonstrated ability in social media fundraising and marketing
- Knowledge of social media best practices and effective use of digital tools, including digital analytics
- Proficiency in Hootsuite, Indiegogo, Change.org, and Mailchimp, as well as comfort learning new platforms as required
- Experience managing multiple platforms to drive engagement using a consistent voice
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience creating and executing daily, monthly, and yearly posting calendars
- Strong researching abilities, and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and remotely while maintaining regular communications with team members
- Ability to locate, define, segment audiences and experts in pertinent fields related to our campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to react to breaking news and information in a timely and effective manner
- Experience with the Adobe suite of software, including Premiere, Lightroom, and Photoshop
- Knowledge of organizational history and context a bonus
- Minimum 3 years of social media/community management experience
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in environmental communication, digital media marketing, or similar field
- Experience with non-profits, especially in the conservation field, an asset
- Experience working in a fast-paced dynamic environment with a small team
- Demonstration of independence and ability to think critically and creatively
- Experience working remotely and managing hours and responsibilities to meet position goals
- This is a full-time contract position
- Hours are flexible but consistent and include work outside of standard business hours
- Compensation commensurate with experience
What it’s really like to work here
We are a small but mighty team with many skillsets and experiences. We work closely together in day to day operations while maintaining our overarching goals. We have weekly conference call meetings and in-person work/strategy sessions several times a year. Staff manage their own time and responsibilities and always keep in mind that everything we do is a team effort.
We have an incredible media library. Our team spends months in the field collecting visual assets, and we have a vast library of these resources which form the foundation of our campaigns. You will have access to rare and powerful imagery and the power to deploy it across our platforms.
We are dedicated to the protection of this coast. In our off hours we’re all alert to developments affecting the Great Bear Rainforest and the BC Coast as a whole. Your visual storytelling will play a critical part in our conservation successes.
We make storytelling easy. Many of our team members have direct experience working in the Great Bear Rainforest, and are invaluable in the storytelling for our organization, and are well-connected in conservation circles. Our team and our work are great subjects to draw from for insights, stories, and inspiration to create a lively social media ecosystem.
We have fun together. We have a fantastic team synergy, and are always working to our campaign goals in everything we do. We hope you’ll be part of the Pacific Wild fam.
How To Apply:
Feb 4, 2019