Role Criteria: The Government of Canada has partially funded this job through the Canada Summer Jobs program. In order to be eligible to participate, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 30 at the start of the employment period;
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person who has been granted refugee status;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
About Us: Pacific Wild is the leading voice for wildlife conservation in the Great Bear Rainforest and beyond. Our team develops and implements powerful conservation campaigns that move people in thought and action. Currently, we focus on a variety of issues including sustainable fisheries, marine protected areas, and wildlife management.
Duties: The Communications Assistant supports the Communications Manager and campaigns team with a variety of activities. The role has a strong emphasis on creative, feature, and scientific writing. Projects will focus on marine and terrestrial campaign planning, specifically our Bottom Trawl, Old-Growth and Save BC Wolves campaign.
Communications and Campaign Support
- Assist Communications Manager with content strategy and development (website, social media, newsletter, and other platforms)
- Engage with members of Pacific Wild’s Save BC Wolves online community via Mighty Networks and Friend of Pacific Wild website.
- Write, edit, and schedule social media content (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) via Later
- Create new visual video content for Pacific Wild’s TikTok and Instagram Reels.
- Track environmental news related to Pacific Wild’s campaigns and develop commentary to share with supporters
- Assist Communications Manager in developing a new strategy for Pacific Wild’s online blog, ensuring content is consistently developed and shared on it
Qualifications and Education:
- Full-time, post-secondary student enrolled in a communications, marketing, environmental/science communications program
- Strong writing and editing skills with an emphasis on creative, feature, and scientific writing
- Strong creative thinking and storytelling skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail and excellent record keeping
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a digital team environment
- Basic proficiency with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, project management tools, Google Drive
- Experience creating content for multiple social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and Twitter.
- Video editing skills to make short reels or TikTok videos.
- Experience preparing for and/or conducting short audio or video interviews an asset for content generation purposes
Deadline to Apply: May 21, 2023 at Midnight
Dates of Employment: June 1, 2023 (or earlier) for a 8-12 week period depending on funding
Salary: $19.50 an hour
Hours: 7-hour workday/ 35 hours per week/ 5 days per week
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Apply by emailing email@example.com with your resume and cover letter outlining your background and experience.
Pacific Wild is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration, regardless of their age, gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, any physical or mental disabilities, or other characteristics protected by applicable human rights laws.