In the leadup to #WorldOceansDay on June 8th, we are celebrating Canada’s watersheds. More than 28 million Canadians live inland with only 13% of people living within 20 km of the ocean. However, no matter where you are, in Canada or the world, you still reside in a watershed.
The B.C. government killed 237 wolves as part of its wolf cull program over the winter despite a court challenge on the legality of the aerial practice.
Pacific Wild has learned that the B.C. government killed 237 wolves during the winter of 2021 as part of the province’s continued war on wolves – despite the matter of the lawfulness of the cull being before the courts.
Herring fishers are making a fraction of what they made decades ago, for the same quantity of fish. Not only has the price of herring declined, but herring populations throughout B.C. have displayed a long term decline in size-at-age, making them less desirable to fishers.
“All Eyes on Fairy Creek” and “The Last Stand” are statements currently being echoed by various organizations, media, members of government, and concerned citizens of British Columbia and beyond.
Pacific herring play a critical role in the coastal ecosystem. They transfer energy from phyto and zooplanktons to larger marine
Only 12% of caught Pacific herring is processed for human consumption with the mjority of it being exported to Japan. The remaining 88% of herring is reduced to fishmeal and fish oil which predominantly goes to feed farmed salmon in Canada and around the world.
An open letter to Katrine Conroy, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, from Dr John and Mary Theberge, Canada’s senior wolf research biologists.
Archives demonstrate long-term knowledge of impending collapse and distinctive herring populations. Still, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) has approved the 2020/2021 Pacific herring Integrated
Fisheries Management Plan.
Featuring articles, updates and opinions on current campaigns, the Pacific Wild Journal is a comprehensive look at the work we’ve done, and where we are going.